Call and speak to an attorney today (603) 536-2700

We Welcome Veterans and
Law Enforcement Professionals

Do You Need an Attorney?

At Schwartzberg Law, we know that, even when providing some services for yourself, it is wise to consult with an attorney to advise you about how various aspects of the law may impact your particular family and circumstances. This knowledge will help you work within certain realistic parameters in developing options that will satisfy the interests of you, your spouse, and your children.

We can guide you through your divorce, advising you about your choices and options. Some of the things you will want to discuss with your attorney are:

  • •   Should our assets be divided 50/50 or should one of us get more?
  • •   Who is responsible for the credit cards? Does it matter whose name they are in?
  • •   How can we divide the house and who gets to live there until we do?
  • •   What about family gifts or inheritances to one of us?
  • •   How do we divide the business?
  • •   How do we divide stock options?
  • •   How do we divide a pension that is difficult to value but will provide a stream of income in the future?
  • •   Who gets what tax deductions?
  • •   Should we have life insurance?
  • •   Is alimony (spousal support) appropriate and if so, how much?
  • •   Does the reason for the divorce have any bearing on the final decree?
  • •   What if one of us had money when we got married and the other one didn’t?
  • •   Can the children live with both parents? How does that work?
  • •   How is child support determined? Does the parenting schedule have an impact on the amount of child support?
  • •   What if one parent wants to move away with the kids?
  • •   What parts of the divorce can you handle yourself using state forms and unbundled legal services?
  • After discussing these issues with your Plymouth divorce lawyer, you will be able to make informed decisions in reaching an agreement with your spouse. If you go to a mediator to assist you in reaching an agreement, your attorney will coach you along the way and review the agreement with you.

    Post-Divorce Modifications

    Many people think that when a divorce is finalized, there is no chance to change any part of the divorce decree. This is not true. It may be possible to change an existing order.

    At Schwartzberg Law, we assist clients in post-divorce modifications of parenting plans, child support and alimony.

    Modification Solutions in New Hampshire

    When is Modification Appropriate?
    In general, whenever there is a substantial change in circumstances for an individual affected by a divorce decree (generally an ex-spouse or child), a modification may be warranted. The following are some examples of these circumstances:

  • •   Substantial increase or decrease in income
  • •   Loss of job
  • •   Illness
  • •   Remarriage of ex-spouse
  • •   Change in financial needs of ex-spouse or child
  • At Schwartzberg Law and mediation center, we help clients modify their divorce decrees so their lives are accurately represented. We guide clients through the legal steps of a divorce modification to ensure their needs are being met.

    Schwartzberg Law offers the chance to settle a legal issue outside of court. For many, mediation is a cost-effective way to settle matters in a shorter amount of time than litigation.

  • •   Prior to the divorce, the parents must complete a parenting plan. You can find a parenting plan form (and other forms related to divorce) at the New Hampshire Judicial Branch Family Division site.
  • •   Parents need to decide on child custody issues such as residential responsibilities and decision-making responsibilities.
  • •   New Hampshire courts encourage as much contact with both parents as is practical under the circumstances.
  • •   The courts will order mediation in almost all cases.
  • •   New Hampshire has child support guidelines. The court can adjust child support depending on such issues as parenting time. We can explain the guidelines and how they affect you.